Monday, April 20, 2009

Catholic overload

Once again, I apologize for the cobwebs up in here. I’ve been staring down some major deadlines for work, so I haven’t had much time to turn on the TV, let alone write about it.

But I will say that for the five or six times I managed to catch a few minutes of NY1 last week, it seemed like EVERY time I watched, it was all about the new Head Catholic Guy (or cardinal or archbishop or whatever) that has been appointed in New York.

I understand this story is important to the city’s Catholics, but for those of us who aren’t Catholic (which would be the majority of New Yorkers), it has no bearing whatsoever on our day to day lives. Personally, I could not be less religious – I don’t mind if other people are, as long as they’re not all murdery about it and don’t try to convert me – and I found myself getting irritated that NY1 was devoting so much airtime to this story. This morning, they were STILL going on about it. Aren’t there other, more important things to report on? It’s time to move on, guys!

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on the "hello, not news" angle but I was just thinking that this was one of those stories NY1 was covering to death in the name of eXXXtreme local news coverage. There have been some other stories they have latched on to like barnacles, so later they can point to it and say, see, we give you way more in depth local coverage than the networks, really!
    I just wish they did it with stories I actually give a crap about.

    ReplyDelete