Monday, July 27, 2009

Taking the cupcake

Last week, NY1 had a story about how some bakeries in Brooklyn are defying the recession with brisk sales of cupcakes.

This got me to thinking - is it just me, or are cupcakes EVERYWHERE now? I don't understand this trend, and frankly, I don't much care for it. I have zero use for cupcakes. And yes, I am female. It's just that my sweet tooth has never been that prominent. I am one of those bitches who can have one small square of dark chocolate and be perfectly satisfied. (Before you go hatin', please be aware that I am deeply in love with cheese, potatoes, pasta, Mexican food, potato chips and all kinds of other fat-making foods, so I have my battles, too.) But yeah, I've always thought cupcakes were way too sickly sweet and a big fat waste of calories.

Also, maybe I'm wrong but they seem to be a big hit with the hipster set, and I'm also aware that making fun of hipsters is basically cliched at this point, but they really are irritating.

Finally, while I'm not opposed, per se, to the success of mom n' pop bakeries, I've seen a lot of cupcake-only ventures springing up (okay, by "a lot" I mean two, but that's just in my neighborhood) and I can't help but feel that it's just a fad and wonder about their long-term prospects for success. And from a purely selfish standpoint, I would rather see businesses that were useful to me (a couple of Citibank ATMs would be a start) instead of bakeries that sell something I have zero interest in eating.

But I'm not alone in my bizarre cupcake vitriol. This chick from the Village Voice agrees with me, at least...

No comments:

Post a Comment