Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kennedy and Vivian Lee

Ted Kennedy has died, and in an attempt to put a local spin on the story, NY1 sent Vivian Lee to Times Square well before the crack of dawn to get reactions from New Yorkers. Many of the interviewees clearly had not had their coffee yet, and offered up profound meditations along the lines of "he was... a Senator" and "he was part of the Kennedy dynasty."

One or two people managed to opine that he was a champion of the poor; kudos to these people for mustering a modicum of eloquence at godknowswhattimeo'clock. I suspect the quotes will get better as the day progresses and she can find more than three people to interview.

One thing I've been meaning to post about but keep forgetting to - I am kind of amused by NY1's obsessive coverage of the Staten Island Little League baseball team which has made it to the Little League World Championships. On the one hand, it's a cute story. On the other hand, we DO live in New York, where real news is happening all the time, and maybe they could pull the throttle back on the daily reporting. On the other other hand, it's this kind of obsessively local coverage that makes you feel like you're living in a small town when you watch NY1; it's a big part of its charm, I suppose.

Anyway, good luck, I guess. I've been to Staten Island like twice so I have nothing invested in it, but, you know, I'm always Thinking of the Children.

No comments:

Post a Comment